Official Soccer Rules
`NO ALCOHOL AT PUBLIC PARKS/CHURCHES
Alcoholic beverages are illegal at public parks/churches. Please don't bring it to the field; Not only do you risk getting cited by the police, we risk losing access to fields. Please help us protect our sports, and wait until you get to the bar
Red = Rule Changes Effective Spring 2023
- Team roster shall include a minimum of 12 players, including at least 4 of each gender.
- The maximum number of players on the field is 7, including the goalie, and including at least 3 of each gender.
- A team may start with as few as 4 players on the field.
- When a team has fewer than the required numbers of a specified gender, they may not substitute members of another gender. For example, if a team has 7 total players available at game time but only 2 are female, the team must play short with 6 players.
- One team being short players for a full 7 on field does not obligate the opposing team to reduce their players on field.
- All players must be registered with the team to play with that team, except in situations in which the team is short the minimum number of total players or the number of a particular gender. Unregistered substitutes are not permitted. Any team found to be playing with an unregistered player will forfeit the game. See: Late Registration below.
- If the team has fewer than 7 players overall available, or has fewer than 3 of each gender available, that team may invite a registered player from another team other than their opponent as a substitute. Gender substitute rules still apply. This is permitted only during regular season games, and only if the team is short. A substitute from another team may only be used in the event of absence, not for the purpose of allowing rests or breaks for individual players.
- Players may be substituted for each other at any time between plays, provided the on-field gender requirement is met at all times.
- Late Registration: a team may add players to their roster through the 4th game, provided the team captain approves, and the player has paid the pro-rated fee for the remainder of the season. All players must be formally registered with the League and paid in full prior to playing.
- Any team that has players not wearing the league-provided shirt can be called for a roster check at any time by the ref, field manager, or the opposing team. If players are found to not be on the roster that are playing it will result in an automatic forfeit.
- Each game shall be officiated by at least one League-assigned referee, who shall act as the head referee. A second League-assigned referee may also be used.
- Referees are responsible for:
- Keeping time.
- Enforcing all rules and penalties.
- Keeping and recording game score.
- The referees shall eject a player from the game if that player repeatedly violates rules, or repeatedly behaves in an unruly and/or unsportsmanlike manner.
- The soccer field shall measure, a minimum, approximately 80 yards long and 40 yards wide, or as close to those measurements as the game field will allow. Cones or lines will mark out of bounds on each side of the field.
- Goals shall be on either end and shall extend into the field. The dimensions may vary depending on the equipment and size of the field.
- Penalty kicks will take place 7 yards from the end line
- The league shall provide the following equipment:
- Official Soccer Ball
- Players must wear their league provided t-shirts of the appropriate color of their team.
- Players must wear shoes.
- Shin guards are required from the outset of the season. Players without shin guards will not be permitted on the field.
- Each game will consist of two 22-minute halves with a 5 minute or less halftime.
- Each team is allowed 1 one-minute timeout per half. Unused timeouts do not carry over into the second half.
- The game clock shall be a running clock except during team timeouts.
- There will be no regular season overtimes; ties are permitted.
- PLAYOFFS- Overtime will be decided by penalty kicks. Each team will take turns facing the opponent's goalie from 7 yards out. The referee will designate the ball placement and the chosen offensive player will kick it from its stationary position. Penalties will be best of 5, and will be played by at least 2 of each gender, players can not kick twice unless every player has kicked.
Start of Game
- The start of the game will be decided by a coin flip administered by the referee. The winning team will get to choose either to have the ball possession at the first or second half.
- The losing team will get to choose which goal they wish to defend first.
- The game will start with the ball being placed at midfield and the offense will take possession. The defense may not enter the Midfield area (as designated by the referee) until the ball has left said area.
- At halftime, teams will switch sides and the team that started on defense will now have first possession of the ball.
Rules of Play
- You may not touch the ball with your hands or lower arms. Shoulders, chest, head, foot or any other part of the body is legal. Illegal touches shall result in a turnover and sideline throw in.
- No slide tackles or aggressive contact is permitted. Players who engage in such may receive a warning (yellow card) or be ejected from the game (red card) depending on the severity of the action and the referee's discretion. Slide tackling will result in a turnover to the nearest side line.
- Goalies may touch the ball with their hands except if it is kicked to them by a teammate. Then the goalie must use his or her feet. Goalies may not hold the ball for longer than a verbal referee 5-count before it results in a turnover.
- Out of bounds- Teams who last touched the ball as it goes out of bounds shall turnover possession. If the ball crosses the side line, it is a throw in. The throw in must be stationary and must be done with two hands over the head. If the ball crosses the goal line, one of two things occur. If it is the defending team's possession, it is a goal kick; if it is the attacking team's possession, it is a corner kick.
- There is no offsides.
- On-field substitutions may only be made during stoppage of play.
- All fouls will be called indirect, except direct fouls committed in the penalty box. Fouls committed in the penalty area will result in a penalty kick from the designated area. When a foul is committed the defending team may only place 2 people in the wall and must stand 7 yards from the ball.
- All players must notify the referee of substitutions and all substitutions must take place at midfield.
- A game shall be immediately called whenever a team achieves a 10-point or more advantage.
- Teams must be ready to play and meet game start requirements at the posted game time. Any team not ready to play at this time shall forfeit, and the opposing team shall take a default win (10-0).
- If neither team is ready to play, both teams shall forfeit.
- Any team found to be playing with a player not registered with the League or team shall forfeit the game.